Old 29-07-2003, 09:12 PM
JNJ

Default Gardening & Energy Conservation

Just out of curiousity (and an interest in land use rights) I'm curious if
you could point me towards a website or citation that states that one may
not drill a well on one's property in your city..... thanks,

Sigh You WOULD ask -- I don't have the actual cite here. A fellow down
at city hall was good enough to send me a copy of the chapter of municipal
code but the cite was incomplete. The verbage was fairly straightforward --
it stated the guidelines for having a well or a cistern, how it was to be
maintained and who governed it (health department) then followed up with....

"(H) When water from the municipal system becomes available to any
dwelling, the owner shall provide water from that system and immediately
abandon the private supply."

Under this chapter I likely cannot even create a large receptacle for
capturing rainwater for use in anything but gardening/agriculture and even
then there are further regulations. I'm still going to find a way to use it
for laundry and toilets and such (call me a rebel).

A local energy consultant and I have been corresponding and he's made it
clear in no uncertain terms that Cincinnati's government is not conservation
friendly.

James