Old 29-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Default herb garden

Sandie,

I could not tell from your post whether you were talking about herbs in
containers or in the ground?

The reason I ask is because I had very poor results when I tried growing
chives in a window box and rosemary & sage in pots, but the plants
absolutely thrived when I "liberated" them by transplanting them in my
veggie garden. Truthfully, if I had known how well they'd do out there, I
would have been more careful about the location & spacing.

Also, it's not a perennial, but you just gotta grow basil! (However, if you
want to actually *cook* with it, don't bother with the small-leafed
"ornamental" basil -- the plant was beautifully rounded, and it tasted
like basil, but life is too short to deal with the teeny leaves!)

As for growing basil from seed, in the past I had a pack of seeds that I
never got around to starting inside; the directions said the seed could be
put directly into the garden. I figured I had nothing much to lose by doing
that -- to my amazement, those plants not only caught up to the basil
planted as seedlings, they were actually *bigger*! Another poster mentioned
letting basil go to seed; if I ever figure out where I'd like some to come
up, I'll refrain from dead-heading one plant and see what happens.

I've pretty much given up on growing parsley, as I have lots of swallowtail
butterflies around, and their caterpillars can be voracious when it comes to
parsley. (Some people plant parsley strictly for the caterpillars; last
time I tried planting several parsley plants in different locations, but the
voles killed the plants in less than 24 hours!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Sandie Hudson" wrote in message
.com...
My husband's veggie garden has done so well this year that I
plan to encourage him to keep it going every year. This
leaves me with a small square near the patio where I used to
grow a few tomatoes. I think I would like to try to grow
some herbs there. What advice do you have? I would like
perennials or self seeders that love sun and are easy to
care for. Which ones to plant and when?

Thanks