Old 29-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Dawn

Default Tomato Ripening Problem

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

In article ,
(EvelynMcH) wrote:

Besides diseasesbeing the cause, tomatoes can sometimes turn red without
ripeness ... in the case of excessive heat.

After an exceptionally cool
spring for this area (Missouri Z 5b), we have had some really blazingly
hot weather in the upper 90s over July. I thought the foliage looked a
bit chlorotic and we were just exploring how to get trace elements to
them when this happened. The previous owners did appear to have used a
lot of chemicals on the lawn; they had a contract with one of those
places. ...

The fruit is quite large--- MUCH larger than I would expect.

They do not taste ripe at all either.

Pardon the snipage.I wanted to quote without being excessive. I'm in the
same zone as you and having the exact same issues with tomatoes this
summer (bland, white spots inside), under similar conditions (heat, lawn
chemicals).

I'm thinking the heat has more to do with it than anything. All the
grass and smaller plants on our property are starting to look a bit
overdone from the sun, but it's not nearly as bad yet as it was a couple
years back when our 30-year-old maples started to *wilt*.

I'm hoping the weather breaks before I lose the plants completely, I'd
like to have tomatoes this fall.

Dawn