Old 30-07-2003, 12:04 AM
BAH

Default Long term absence

Good Luck mate, BUT............. I was out there for three years in the
'80's. At the time, despite the pay being tax free and about thrice UK
rates, the average stay for a British Expatriate on a long term contract was
around three months! You're also going out at the hottest time of the year
(we used to reckon that it took two weeks to 50% acclimatise and many years
to be comfortable in it), get used to it by putting your head into your
kitchen oven after steaming a hot pudding?

Homesickness (and no booze, etc) can be a powerful thing to contend with -
indeed, my predecessor, upon hearing I was en route, immediately jumped on
a plane and returned home. He couldn't even wait to brief me for a proper
takeover (the house boy told me he had been pacing the roof at night,
counting the planes taking off from Jeddah airport before his next journey
home).

The other curious fact then was that a considerable number reckoned they had
made enough to go home, only to come back a few years later when the reality
of UK cost of living re-appeared.

Finally, think about your return-to-the-UK strategy before you go, and work
on it whilst there, because getting back into the UK job scene can be tough.

I'm sure others, like me, would appreciate a progress report, if only for
the vicarious experience.

Best wishes
BAH

"Essjay001" wrote in message
BrianE wrote:
Jammy git..

You can come too Brian, do you want the address
Steve R

Yes please Steve! Where are you off to mate?

Saudi Arabia!

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.