Old 30-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Mark. Gooley

Default Your best and worst rose?

"elfa" wrote:
This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite)
rose. The one that consistantly produces blossoms with the least
amount of hassle. The one that you would recommend in good
conscience to a first timer who didn't care about color but just
wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Here in zone 8b I'd have to say "Old Blush." Bulletproof for me. I
also have an Austin shrub, "Mary Rose," that is attacked by black
spot, nibbled by grasshoppers and mad deer, and sometimes neglected,
yet it keeps blooming and re-growing and blooming again. And so far
some recently-acquired Bourbon roses have been thriving on neglect.

Worst? I can't say. Too many have died, and not always under
circumstances under which I can pin down the cause. Deer attacks,
lubber-grasshopper attacks, black spot after a week of constant rain
and constantly-wet leaves. One Chrysler Imperial struggled for
months before giving in; another is doing pretty well. Mind you, I
plant (or have in pots) mostly OGRs and Austins, with very few
modern hybrid teas -- and some modern roses have stunned me with
their toughness under adversity, such as "St. Patrick."

Definitely "Old Blush" for this climate. Stubborn *******, bless it.

Mark.