Old 30-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Essjay001

Default Long term absence

"BAH" wrote in message
Good Luck mate, BUT............. I was out there for three years in the
'80's. At the time, despite the pay being tax free and about thrice UK
rates, the average stay for a British Expatriate on a long term contract

was
around three months!

I was in Oman for 13 months (2000) and Kuwait for 7 months (2001). I only
returned because I had to not because I wanted to. I did so love Oman.

You're also going out at the hottest time of the year
(we used to reckon that it took two weeks to 50% acclimatise and many

years
to be comfortable in it), get used to it by putting your head into your
kitchen oven after steaming a hot pudding?

In Oman I used to go hiking naked in the mountains fabulous exercise (risky
jagged volcanic rocks)

Kuwait is said to be the hottest premanently inhabited place in the world, I
loved it

Homesickness (and no booze, etc) can be a powerful thing to contend with -

Being single I have nothing to keep me here. My daughter and her boyfriend
will be living in my house while I am away. I don't drink so no problem
there

indeed, my predecessor, upon hearing I was en route, immediately jumped

on
a plane and returned home. He couldn't even wait to brief me for a proper
takeover (the house boy told me he had been pacing the roof at night,
counting the planes taking off from Jeddah airport before his next journey
home).

There are those that just can't take it

The other curious fact then was that a considerable number reckoned they

had
made enough to go home, only to come back a few years later when the

reality
of UK cost of living re-appeared.

I am quite lucky I only have a 30K mortgage which I want to pay off (the
endownment is'nt performing too well) and I recieve a 6K pension from the
RAF which will go up in 2 years time.

Finally, think about your return-to-the-UK strategy before you go, and

work
on it whilst there, because getting back into the UK job scene can be

tough.

Don't I know it since I returned from Kuwait I have done everything and
anything including a spell as a bin man (which I quite enjoyed), Dyson's
production line, perfume factory, D/G manufacturer, computer technician,
carpenter, press operator, I made gasmasks for the Department of Defense and
power supply units for MOD submarines.

I don't really see myself returning here permenantly. France Spain or NZ are
favourites

I'm sure others, like me, would appreciate a progress report, if only for
the vicarious experience.

I will keep you updated

Best wishes

Cheers!

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.