Old 30-07-2003, 03:03 AM
spun 12

Default 10gal planted tank?

JuanMa wrote in message ...
Greetings.

My LFS told me that to have a planted tank I need to have the bottom of the
tank with potting soil and gravel on top. If so, how many pounds of soil do
I need to make it at least 1 inch deep of soil and how many pounds of gravel
would I need to make 1 inch deep of gravel? Or should I use more/less?
Should I use sand(non argonite)instead of the gravel?

The tank will have two 36W PC lights, maybe a power head and a HOB filter.

Where can I find a list of livebearers online that are compatible with other
livebearers and that won't grow too large?

Thank You.

I would say that 10 lbs of soil will give you 1 1/2" and you should
be good with the same amount of gravel. If your tank is only 10g,
and your placing 72w over the tank. Then thats WAY to much light for
some.It would give you 7.2wpg. I have a difficult time with algea at
4wpg so be cautious and ready to spend $$$ on other things like
fertilizer, a c02 system.Maybe only use one bulb if possible this
would be about 3.5wpg and you'll still require a co2 system but you
will have better luck.
Good Luck,
Matt