Old 30-07-2003, 03:32 AM
simy1

Default Tomato Ripening Problem

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote in message ...

Our paste tomatoes grow white insides if they are not watered heavily during
drought and don't have a good limng in the fall with micros added. Our sandy
soil requires that you add everything. Don't know where you are soil-wise,
but Missouri soils should have everything you need. The heavy rains may have
leeched what the soils need to produce.
Gary

Thanks for responding. We will reconsider our watering routines then.
Our soil is on the clay side but not too bad AFAIK. I think a soil test
is definitely in order--- especially since our other plot of non-paste
tomatoes on the other side of the house does so well. The paste tomato
plot has been a lawn for like 15 years and before that allegedly pasture
for cows. The ground was not too difficult to til the first time so the
clay is not too bad. But I have not tested the PH so we will have that
and other tests run. Thaniks!

Sandy and clay are two different beasts. As Pat said, excessive
moisture may have more to do with your problem - also tomatoes are
fairly tolerant of pH.
See if the problems goes away as your soil dries up (like, the August
tomatoes are going to be better). If they don't improve, I'd try some
combination of foliar feeding for this year, and micro-rich organics
for next year (some wood ash, and kitchen scraps).