Old 30-07-2003, 04:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Green Tomatoes????

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:39:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Interesting Pat, I've never heard that before but it explains that last
few years of "late" tomatoes.

I'd sort of figured (informally) that the tomatoes don't
like the cool nights.... anyway, this rather explains it,
doesn't it?

I wonder if anyone in the NG who experienced the cold wet spring has
ripe tomatoes. All my tomatoes aren't ripe yet...I thought I messed
up, too much nitrogen or such.

My "4th of July" (Burpee, 49 days) and "Healthy Kick Plum" (Burpee,75
days) are in ground 70! days. All still needs to grow some and are
green or whitish green. My "Burpee Burger" (72) and "Big Mama" (80)
are also behind. I don't expect either to harvest for ..im guessing ..
2-4 weeks.

How long do tomatoes take to ripen, once it starts to change color?
(generally)

You know: this year, I started my tomatoes from seed. I
transplanted the first two plants (Early Girls) into the
garden in WalloWaters on May 8. MAY 8!

They were LARGE plants by then, I'd transplanted them
several times and they were about 18" tall, and stocky.
Here it is July 28 and no ripe tomatoes! Early Girl is
supposed to ripen in 59 days after transplanting (according
to Burpee's catalog).

Mine were transplanted to the garden about 80 days ago...
and they were much larger than most transplants when I set
them out. No ripe tomatoes yet.

It will be interesting to see if the hoophouse improves
matters.

Pat

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener