Old 30-07-2003, 04:23 AM
johnrutz

Default NJ. How was the pond tour?

NJ wrote:
"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
ink.net...

Ahhh, being told you have a natural-looking pond is the highest compliment
to me!! Congrats. Did the 'tourists' trample any plants? Were they
respectful?

You know, I was pleasantly surprised by the visitors to our pond. Not only
were they admiring and complimentary, they were genuinely interested and
yes, respectful. I even had to encourage several to get closer and get a
really up-close look at the pond. I had occasion today to call the garden
center that sponsored the tour (we are consulting with a designer there to
rip out what little grass we have in the back yard and put in all landscape
beds) and the owner told us that, so far, we are in the lead with the most
votes for the Battle of the Ponds! I was floored. They use a mail-in
balloting system, postage-paid cards, and got a couple dozen replies
already. I was sure that our little fishpond would pale in comparison to
the larger ponds on the tour. It is a very nice compliment to our hard
work.

On another note, the water lettuce are really going downhill fast. They are
lemon-yellow and disintegrating. I have found black spots eaten through
them, and a cloud of gnat-like bugs above them every now and then. Bummer.

NJ

now thats cool I have seen some big NICE superponder Koi ponds that
just left me cold, and some realy small ones that were a joy to the heart.

on your water letuce how much sun are they geting? I bought some eal
nice hyacinth and when I put it in the pond within a few days it was
brown and crispy, sun burt and now it kinda sorta resembles what you
describe
I dont know if thats what is happening to your lettuce but
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up