Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 AM
jrstark

Default Self-professed brown thumb needs some help!

ncgirl wrote:

Hi Jayel,

The planters all have drainage holes at the bottom but they do also sit on
trays to catch the water =) I think my problem is that when I go to test
the moisture I'm not sure how the soil should feel. e.g. should the soil be
noticeably wet? or crumbly but still dark?

Should I get rid of the trays? I can't help it inside but outside I could
remove the trays on the bottom.

What do you mean when you say "fill up the planter". Is that like as in
water until water drains through each time?

Thanks for your help!

"J. Lane" wrote in message
. ca...

Hi Ncgirl.
Question: do your planters have drainage or do they sit on a tray to catch
the water. General rule of thumb is if the planter has drainage (holes in
the bottom to let the excess water drain) then you fill up the planter

twice

(once for the pot and once for the plant). In cool weather water once a
week, in hot weather two or three times a week should do it depending on

the

size of the planters. If you can't feel any moisture an inch down into the
soil then it's time to water.
Helps?
--
Jayel
"ncgirl" wrote in message
. rr.com...

Hi all!

I'm a brown-thumb through and through. I'm starting to have a little

more

success with my plants but have a couple of questions regarding

appropriate

watering. I have some indoor and outdoor plants in planters. My main
question is how can I tell when it's time to water? Do soil moisture
indicators help? What about self-watering devices?

Hoping to keep them growing!

Cheers.

If the plant is drooping or the soil looks really dry, water it.

Plants in sun need more water than plants in shade.

Yellow leaves usually mean you are watering too much.

The hotter the temp, the more often you should water.

Janine