Old 30-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Derek Turner

Default Bindweed and nettles

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:57:36 +0100, "Dave Henson"
wrote:

Ground elder _does_ have medicinal properties (I forget what they are)
which is one reason that there is so much of it about: it was
deliberately planted in physic gardens.
--
Derek Turner

Great - so I don't even have to share my profits with the hypnotist.

Found this on 'Goutweed' aka Ground Elder

quote
---Medicinal Action and Uses---Diuretic and sedative. Can be
successfully employed internally for aches in the joints, gouty and
sciatic pains, and externally as a fomentation for inflamed parts.

The roots and leaves boiled together, applied to the hip, and
occasionally renewed,have a wonderful effect in some cases of
sciatica.

Culpepper says:
'It is not to be supposed Goutwort hath its name for nothing, but upon
experiment to heal the gout and sciatica; as also joint-aches and
other cold griefs. The very bearing of it about one eases the pains of
the gout and defends him that bears it from the disease.'
Gerard tells us that:
'with his roots stamped and laid upon members that are troubled or
vexed with gout, swageth the paine, and taketh away the swelling and
inflammation thereof, which occasioned the Germans to give it the name
of Podagraria, because of his virtues in curing the gout.'
/quote

he

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/g/goutwe32.html
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.