Old 30-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Chilean Glory Vine from seed

"K" wrote in
:

I've grown a few of these and they are now in 3" pots and vary from 1"
to 5" tall.

When will they be ready to plant out and could I grow them all in a
large pot?

(Since no-one more informed has answered), I reckon you could put them
outside now. They don't seem to attract slugs, and it's more than warm
enough.

I lost most of my small seedlings last winter (though they were smaller
than yours) in the greenhouse. I'm not sure if it was just too cold, or
if I kept them too wet (they seem very drought-tolerant).

The ones that made it were the ones I had inside in a pot, which grew
rampantly all winter, and have been in flower since May.

I thought these were all one plant, but it's become clear I have one
yellow-flowering one with greener leaves, and one (or more?) red-
flowering one with redder leaves.

They are growing successfully in a tall terracotta urn with a bamboo
pole stuck in it, but I get the impression they would really like more
root space. So, yes you can grow them in pots, but they do get tall, so
don't make my mistake.

Because of the shape of the urn I can't get mine out without smashing
it! Which I shall probably have to do at some point. Pity.

Hope these ramblings help.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill