Old 30-07-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Chilean Glory Vine from seed

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.11...
: "K" wrote in
: :
:
: I've grown a few of these and they are now in 3" pots and vary from 1"
: to 5" tall.
:
: When will they be ready to plant out and could I grow them all in a
: large pot?
:
: (Since no-one more informed has answered), I reckon you could put them
: outside now. They don't seem to attract slugs, and it's more than warm
: enough.
:
: I lost most of my small seedlings last winter (though they were smaller
: than yours) in the greenhouse. I'm not sure if it was just too cold, or
: if I kept them too wet (they seem very drought-tolerant).
:
: The ones that made it were the ones I had inside in a pot, which grew
: rampantly all winter, and have been in flower since May.
:
: I thought these were all one plant, but it's become clear I have one
: yellow-flowering one with greener leaves, and one (or more?) red-
: flowering one with redder leaves.
:
: They are growing successfully in a tall terracotta urn with a bamboo
: pole stuck in it, but I get the impression they would really like more
: root space. So, yes you can grow them in pots, but they do get tall, so
: don't make my mistake.
:
: Because of the shape of the urn I can't get mine out without smashing
: it! Which I shall probably have to do at some point. Pity.
:
: Hope these ramblings help.
:
: Victoria
: --
: gardening on a north-facing hill
: in South-East Cornwall
: --
Thanks, Victoria - very helpful. I grew mine indoors on a window cill in my
spare room as I don't have a greenhouse. I've got 6 left as some didn't
make it, so I shall try some in a large pot as I've just taken delivery of a
'flower belle' from T & M so they can climb up that for the time being. Can
they stay out for the winter do you know - I imagine they can if they are
well established.