Old 30-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default How far can I prune tomatoe plants?

TORENGI said:

My Tomatoe plants have gone wild. They have taken over just about my entire
garden (8' x 16' elevated garden) and are crowding out everything else I have
planted.

Question: How far back can I prune them back before I do damage to the plant.

Well, the rule of thumb with shrubs is that you can remove 1/3 of the stems in
any year...

You'd probably be safe cutting back whole shoots (including some of the green
tomatoes). Cut from the north and east side of the plants, to avoid suddenly
exposing green fruit to the sun during the hottest part of the day. Maybe put up
some temporary fencing to hold back the plants on the south and west sides,
or limit yourself to tipping the plants back on these sides.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)