Old 30-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Bpyboy

Default Using bones for fertilizer?

I dug out an old book of mine called "5 acres and independence" by M. G.
Kains.

Anyways, he suggested that when you are planting grapes, to throw a couple of
bones in the bottom of the trenches prior to planting. On paper, it seems like
a good way to add some REALLY slow release fertilizer to the roots.

Has anyone done this? I was under the impression that the oils and fats and
stuff on the bones hinder the process. Although, being under a foot of soil,
there wouldn't be any smells or cats digging in to find them.

Possibly, after you cook down your Thanksgiving turkey (day 6 or turkey!) and
make soup, a huge amount of the fats and things would have been boiled off. Do
you just throw all that stuff into the hole and go with it?

I realize that the book is dated, but even the Native Americans would throw a
couple of fish heads in there corn mounds--and it seems to have sustained them
for thousands of years.

thanks
john