Old 30-07-2003, 01:03 PM
A.Malhotra

Default Growing plants from seed: advice?

Victoria Clare wrote:

"A.Malhotra" wrote in
:

However, despite doing all the fiddly "pricking out" for the
Nicotiana, calendula and cerinthe that I did, the plants seem to have
really weak stems at the point at which they join the soil, giving
really floppy plants. Is this because I replanted them too close
together? I replanted them further apart than they had germianted, in
deeper trays using JI no 2 mixed with the seed compost I germinated
them in, as that's all I had available, and not enough room to put all
the seedlings in individual pots.

A tip that I got here, which has proved very good, is to bury seedlings
almost up to the first pair of leaves in compost when potting on, so that
the weak point is buried.

Sounds like it should cause damping off, but it doesn't: it really works,
The buried stem puts out new roots and the whole plant becomes stronger.

Thanks, that sounds like a V good tip. I thought it would create problems
so was careful not to bury them deeper than they were.

Dunno about nicotiana and calendula, but I find the difficult thing with
cerinthe is to *stop* growing it. It self-seeds very readily.

Great, one less thing to bother about sowing next year. I love plants that
self seed. Even the millions of teasel seedlings that come up every year
haven't put me off. I actually LIKE weeding.....the cerinthe are not doing
too well now though, since its got damp again. The slugs seem to like them

Anita