Old 30-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Using bones for fertilizer?

(Bpyboy) wrote in
:

Has anyone done this? I was under the impression that the oils and
fats and stuff on the bones hinder the process. Although, being under
a foot of soil, there wouldn't be any smells or cats digging in to
find them.

I would think the oils and fats and stuff would be goobled up quickly by
bacteria and who knows what else as long as the soil is biologically
active. But if you don't bury them deeply enough, I think the problem is
with animals smelling the oils and fat and looking for a meal.

If I recall correctly, as long as you can get rid of the oils and fats
it's very good to put in the garden. Some old timers may tell you about
animal problems after putting down commercial bone meal preparations ....
I'll like to hear if anyone is still having problems regarding that.

-- Salty