Old 30-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Lowering pH

If you don't have Aquatic Ecosystem's catalog, you NEED it G! I can (and
have!) spend *hours* looking through it. They have a pretty extensive
website, but it's a little hard to navigate. However, you can order the
catalog from the http://www.aquaticeco.com You can find the airstones,
pumps, and more stuff than you ever thought existed! They're over there
around Apopka, so even "regular" UPS is "next-day" delivery for us'ns here
in FL.

Your water-spouting crane would help, but it's not as efficient as the
airstone(s). It just *looks* nicer!

If I remember during my search for info, there are over 40,000 different
species of algae. I think at one time or another, most of them have found
their way to my pond (long sigh . . .). And it's very difficult to get rid
of: even dumping the pond and scrubbing everything doesn't get rid of it
all. It hides in the plants, on your rock work, EVERYwhere. And all it needs
is a few pieces to reestablish itself. That brownish, olive-green silty
stuff could still be cyanobacteria. It comes in multiple forms, too. BTW,
I've never heard of red algae except for the blooms in the Gulf, which are
usually deadly. There's a fresh water version of it, too??? Sheesh . . .

I've never been able to find Koi Clay locally. No one carries it. But get
ahold of Gene Winstead at http://www.koivillage.com and he'll get some out
to you. Check out his site (both commercial and personal): he has a lot of
info.

Lee

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message

Sue: Yes, the waterfall adds oxygen to the pond, depending on the drop.
If you have a drop of 18" or so, you may be OK.

Actually, the waterfall is two tiered from the head pool into the
stream with each drop about 9", then it travels the lenght of the
stream 22', then it drops into the pond about 12". How big of an
airstone are you talking, in the barrel all I had was a walnut sized
one. Where do you get bigger ones? What type(size?) of air pump do
you need to run the size you are recommending?

I'd place the airstone about 2/3 of the way from the waterfall: the

airstone
will ensure that the far end of the pond also is properly aerated.

I have a water spouting crane which leaks so badly that it can't be
used. It is at that 2/3 locations that you referred to. I put it
there to make sure water moved all around the pond, no dead spots. If
I can get it fixed would that do the job for the extra oxygen?

Your "brown algae" doesn't "quite" sound normal. New ponds usually grow

nice
green stuff, not brown stuff. Especially brown stuff that breaks loose

and
clogs the filter.

It's like loose silt, really doesn't look like algae...

Do you have any Koi Clay?

No, on the Koi Clay. Where do we get it around here? Tampa, Hernando
or Pasco county or on the internet?

replace your skimmer mat with a lingerie bag stuffed with netting, the

kind
you use for crafts (like coarse bridal veil).

This I can do easily.

If you've got what I think you have (cyanobacteria), it will be an

on-going
effort until the water cools again. It works in cycles; I'm on my third
since Spring.

cyanobacteria?? I"ll have to look that up as I've never heard of that
one, but that's par for the course, remember when I first filled the
pond back in January I had red algae. Drained and redug it since then
and glad it didn't appear when we refilled in May.

Thanks Lee for all the good info...Sue W