Old 30-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai(help?)

Man is the only critter who feels the need to label
things as flowers or weeds.
Farmer's Almanac

I thought this quote appropriate to this thread!

The plants don't care if they are indoor/outdoor. The beginners don't know
indoor/outdoor. I know people who have kept mallsai alive indoors.

"It will die if you don't do the following..." or "This is what needs to be
done to keep it alive..." is much better advice than just, "It will die...".

I don't think telling an apartment dweller to go out and buy a one gallon
can tree that they will need to grow inside is good advice either. There
are plants that will live inside and be shapable. I am thinking of ivy,
false arelia, geraniums as easy plants to maintain and shape indoors. I'm
sure there are other low light tropicals that would also work.

Yes, it is NOT classic bonsai, but it gives someone with and interest and
limited outdoor access a way to start. I think since there folks want to
start, they should be given positive feedback and a path that has some
promise. Most people that get a gift plant really want to keep it
alive. They don't really want to hear that they got a bum gift.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++