Old 30-07-2003, 03:43 PM
FBCS

Default "Ballooning" goldfish!!!

I'm still pretty new to this but..... Try this link
http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/...o/diseases.htm sounds like
dropsy.
Swelling of the body cavity due to a build-up of fluid. Scales become raised
giving a pinecone-like appearance. One or both of the eyes may be protruded.
"Mick709" wrote in message
Howdy all!

I have a goldfish in my horse trough that is a total puzzlement! I just

buy 15
cent feeder fish and plop 'em in the first of the season and if the live

then
dandy but if they die I dont mind. SO, I put one in about 3 months ago and

it
just doing fine BUT the thing looks like a football now! It SHOULD only be
about 1/2 inch wide (which it is at the head and gills) but as soon as its

past
the gills it takes a 90degree turn on both sides and becomes almost and

inch
wide! The scales even look like they are pushed out sideways and so it

looks
kinda bumby there. It seems happy enough, swimming along with the others

(who
all look normal) eating as much as the others and generally seeming to

enjoy
life. SO, WHATS THE DEALIE!?!?! Is it going to blow up like a balloon

till it
explodes? Is there something wrong? DOes it need a little milk of

magnesia???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

MICK!