Old 30-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Indoor trees (was: [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai (help?))

I'll chime in here, FWIW. I'm a newbie - this is my first full summer in
the sport - and I kept seeing responses like Jim's and Nina's to questions
about indoor trees. So, I bought a Metal Halide light and set up an area in
the basement with that and a humidifier. I have a few different varieties
of Ficus, some Serrisa, Fukien Tea,etc. and they were all doing great under
the lights at about 60% humidity (putting on new growth, nice and green...).
So I started thinking all this stuff about having trees inside was simply
preference or exageration. Then, I put my "indoor trees" outside in late
spring...there is simply no comparison. They are growing so fast I can
hardly keep up with them. My conclusion? Having trees indoors during the
fall and winter is nice - gives me trees to play with all year and helps to
extend what is a pretty short growing season here - but they are going
outside every spring as soon as it's safe!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39