Old 30-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Mike

Default Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ???

In article , mbb michael.blyth@bt
openworld.com writes
Many thanks for all the advice and comments.

The point about water is well made, and the garden pond will be refurbished
shortly. A more generally insect friendly planting will be done, so I think
we should see an improvement. Given that the garden contains both light and
dark flowered buddlejas, I shall be interested to see just how they compare
in their 'butterfly attracting' - perhaps something for the children to
monitor.

The building structure is the only problem which cannot be solved, but on
the other hand once butterflies and other insects are introduced, they will
have sheltered space to live in.

Thanks again, mbb

"mbb" wrote in message
My young sons' school has an (almost) surrounded quadrangle garden, a

simple
lawned area with 3 or 4 mature buddlejas, a neglected pond, and some other
herbaceous beds.

I'm told that it's a pleasant area, but "the bushes don't encourage
butterflies". I know it's a subjective opinion, but might it be true? Are
there situations where the buddleja doesn't attract butterflies? Or is it
the local geography, perhaps?

regards, mbb

We now have Butterflies in force, those so far identified from Collins
Complete British Wildlife book are, Peacock, Painted Lady, Red Admiral,
Fritillary (but we don't know which ones because they don't hang around
long enough), AND, we have Bumble Bees and Honey Bees as well.

The question is, has anyone else suddenly got butterflies as well?

Joan and Mike
Isle of Wight

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT GROWING OLD :
When you fall down, you wonder what else you can do while you're
down there.