Old 30-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Getting allotment soon - What to do?

Andy wrote in message . ..
Hi all,

I should hopefully be getting an allotment soon but don't
have much time to work it at the moment. With a bit of luck I'll have
a bit more time on my hands starting later this year or early next
year.

What I thought of doing is chopping the weeds down to ground
level, then covering it with a layer of manure followed by old carpet
or black plastic then coming back later and digging it all in.

Does this sound OK? Is there anything else I should be doing? Maybe
add some lime with the manure?

The black plastic approach does work; but rarely quite as well as one
hopes. I'd use the heaviest I could get (old carpet is great), as some
light does come through thinner grades; if you happen to have a lot of
cardboard boxes, opening them out and spreading them underneath will
help.

Make sure the wind can't get under the edges and overlaps; and keep an
eye on it over the winter for damage. The best way to secure the edges
is to dig a little trench all the way round where each sheet will go,
and bury the edges of the plastic.

Muck spreading before laying the plastic or carpet is sound policy;
but I wouldn't put lime on at the same time, as it causes your
nitrogen to escape. Best to muck and lime in alternate years; but a
few months apart is good enough.

I'd also be inclined to take away the weeds you cut down and compost
them separately if there's a chance any of them will seed into your
bed: you'll have quite enough weeding to do anyhow.

Mike.