Old 30-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Dwarf Scots Pine

The local nurseries are selling off their surplus plants now that the end of
summer (here anyway) is approaching. I was able to purchase a pretty nice
Dwarf Scots Pine for $35 (trunk is about 1 1/2" diam.). Very full foliage
with lots of dense growth to work with. My question is: if I don't mess
with the roots, is it safe to style it during this time of year? I've heard
any number of "rules of thumb" regarding how much can safely be removed from
a pine and I've seen a number of demos where those rules were violated to
the extent that the "finished" tree had like one branch left with a couple
of tufts of needles. So, for a newbie, how much of the top can be reduced
without excessive risk? This tree appears to be very healthy. Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++