Old 30-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Bpyboy

Default Compost ingredients?

I had problems with neighborhood cats and things. But I understand that if you
BURY the stuff deep inside the pile, it's not that much of a problem. Also, I
read in "let it rot", the master work on composting, that things with oils and
fats sort of act like a varnish or waterproofing layer, and that slows down the
bacteria from breaking things down. If you're going to use meat products, try
to keep from using a lot of stuff with fat. I suppose drained meats, or low
fat meats and bones, if you bury them deeply would be ok. Still, I'd add at
least a couple of weeks to the composting process, just to make sure that the
bacteria has "eaten" up the meats and oils and stuff. They can do it, it just
takes a little bit more time.