Old 30-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Unique Too

Default Your best and worst rose?

elfa writes:

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The
one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Usually the question is; "What is your favorite rose?" You've worded this
differently and I had to think about it first. I believe Belinda's Dream is
the rose I would suggest to a newcomer and it fits the part of "consistantly
produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle." It's rarely without blooms
and has a great fragrance. The flower shape is similar to an HT so to many
people it fits the description of "a rose." Although not long lasting in a
vase the flowers can be cut and brought inside. It is blackspot resistant and
has a pleasing plant shape. The only negative I can think of is the balling
during your regular summer showers. And not all blooms are affected, only
those at a certain stage during a rainstorm. Overall, it is a great rose for
this area.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back.
The
embarassment to your rose garden.

This took even longer to answer. I think there is only one answer, but for two
very different reasons for each part of the question.
The simple answer is none.
I don't think I could say I want my money back about any rose I've ever bought.
Sure there are many that have been discarded and a couple that didn't survive.
But from each of them I learned something. From the hybrid teas I discovered
I really don't care the growth of the plants. Nor am I willing to put up with
all the blackspot even when they are regularly sprayed. From the cheap
miniatures I got from the box stored I discovered, minis really don't inspire
me, I much prefer larger plants and flowers. The bareroot Antique '89 that
never came alive, taught me to be very careful of the potting mix I use and to
make certain the drainage in pots is adequate. And on it goes. Really there
aren't any I want my money back.
To answer the second part of the question. There aren't any embarassments in
the garden. Really. There have been many occasions that I couldn't answer
that way, but at the present I can. Space is so limited that the ones I
wouldn't want to share with others are gone. All of them. Finally.
Now if you want a list of the roses that were embarassing, that could get
rather long. Rather quickly I can come up with thise: Moonstone, Dr Huey, Angel
Face, Barbara Worll, and First Edition.
Interesting questions, Elfa. It's good for us to think of our roses in these
terms and be reminded of the good and bad.

Julie