Old 30-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Growing plants from seed: advice?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:03:02 +0100, A.Malhotra wrote:

Rodger Whitlock wrote:

I think your california poppies have a good chance of coming back
next year even if this year's performance is lousy.

I didn't think they were hardy enough to overwinter....it would be nice if
they did. Do you grow them as perennials were you are?

Short-lived perennials. They especially like dry sunny banks
where they bake in the summer. At this time of year, their native
haunts in California are not (100F and up) and dry as a bone.

Give them hard living and they will overwinter better than if
gorged on water and fertilizer.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada