Old 30-07-2003, 10:22 PM
RichToyBox

Default dragonflies.

If you have fish, you will probably not have any mosquitoes. If you have
dragonflies, they further reduce the population. If you are still worried,
use mosquito dunks, they have a natural bacteria that kills the mosquito
larva without affecting any other critters. You can use both fish and
dunks, and the dragonflies will still come.
--
RichToyBox

"Axolotl" wrote in message
. 130...
"*muffin*" wrote in
:

I notice there are several posts on here that people WANT to attract
dragon flies...... from what I have read,, dragonflies are NOT GOOD.
the nymphs can live over a year & eat fish!

what am I missing???

muffin who found a dead fish..(probably unearthed by the recent
storm).. one that was missing for a while,,, it looked like part of
it was chewed up..... now"I" am freakin' ...(it's always sumpthin')

That was I.
Dragonflies are supposed to be a very good control for mosquitoes and
mosquito lava.
I live in the Toronto area where West Nile is an emergent problem.
Because it is new and people do not understand how small the risks are
they are doing all sorts of silly things, like proposing bylaws to outlaw
standing water (including garden/ornamental ponds). Part of the problem
is the media who report single cases of the disease as though they were
reporting the end of the world.
Currently local health laws allow for the public health department to
check for standing water and lava, this is quite reasonable from a public
health stand point, but in one case that I have heard of they demanded
that the owner fill in his pond. I do not know the details, maybe it was
a very poorly maintained or there was some other problem with it all the
same I would prefer not to have fight to keep my pond. So any thing I can
do to keep the nasty bugs down in my pond sounds like a good idea.
I am using Aquabac, which works very well, but it would be nice to have
something a little more attractive to act as a pest control.
ANO