Old 30-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Rod

Default If only

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
But I do get tired of hearing people say that Dahlias are old fashioned,
they just don't realise the very wide range of types available today, they
still think a Dahlia is just a big blousy flower like an over grown cabbage
or they are "Bishop of Llandaff".
They just don't realise the development that has taken place in the last few
years.
Orchid dahlias, Anemone cantered, miniature of no more than 9 inches high
that can be used as house plants to tree dahlias over 12ft high and even
scented Dahlias.
The dahlia is truly the flower for the 21st centaury.

Problem might be David, some of us of a certain age growing up in towns where all men were Dahlia men, Sweet Pea men, Rose men,

Carnation men, Chrysanth men.............................etc.
Gardening lost it's attraction when all you saw in spring was gardens full of bamboo canes, then later they were full of paper bags
on canes. Then after that I gardened for a few years at 600ft in the Pennines and my boss's Dahlias started to flower mid August and
got clobbered by frost in early September.
Yes I know now there's more to Dahlias than that but these images are very persistent.

Rod