Old 30-07-2003, 11:12 PM
dave weil

Default Your best and worst rose?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:25:33 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

A caveat though - here, it gets blackspot at the mere mention of the
word.

Hmm! mine has stayed clean
even as Abe Darby next door has
suffered repeated BS attacks.

Maybe its time to kick up the BS
protection up a notch.

Belami.

Here's a pictu

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804079

I know that I'm pretty new to this rose thing and all, and that this
might not be the kind of extraordinary performance that some of you
might be used to, but frankly, I haven't had *any* HT that has come
close to thowing the kind of blooms that this one has in its first
season. There are 29 partially opened to fully opened blooms on the
three bushes and another 7 buds yet to open. There are probably 3
blooms that are ready to be trimmed because they are over-the-hill.
That's almost 40 buds and/or blooms on the 3 plants at the same time.

It does look amazingly healthy.
Is it naturally resistant to disease
or is much chemical warefare going one?

So far, there has been absolutely *no* spraying of any kind. But it's
a young thing. I don't think that the nasty bacteria and fungi have
realized that I have a new rose bed. Of course, this bed is pretty far
from any other plants...

I'm just amazed how well these plants have done. I hope that they
continue to do that well...

When this thing grows into the 5- 7 ft. bush that I expect that it
will, I think that I'll have hundreds of blooms for my vases...

To give you some perspective, these three plants were bare root plants
sitting in a box on my porch on Memorial Day of this year.

They get full sun all day and they are growing in my amazing native
soil. Still...

Here's what they looked like on 6.02.03:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19804228

My worst performing rose?

This unknown white thing. Boring, boring, boring. If only it were the
Europeana that it was billed to be.

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804805

Dave that looks amazingly link the rose Fabulous.
It was a seedling of Iceberg that was supposed
to be an improvement. It was nothing
of the kind in my garden and soon found the
garbage pile.

Hmmm, I'll have to look that up...

Well, I've looked that up and it could very well be that rose.

What a dog! Maybe it will get better next year though. I'll transplant
this sucker to a better, more "full sun" location later this fall and
see it does. After all, I don't have any white roses. And i paid $3.99
for it at Krogers!