Old 31-07-2003, 01:04 AM
TomC

Default Compost ingredients?

A local dairy farmer sells compost and manure. Guess where his dead cows
go!

Pat Meadows wrote in article
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:31:12 -0500, Andrew McMichael
wrote:

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the

house, and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat

trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is

this so?
Why?

I think it's because meat scraps, bones, etc. will encourage
animals to feed from the compost (rats, mice, whatever).

I don't put meat or oils in the compost for this reason -
also ours is pretty close to the house and I don't want the
smell of rotting meat.

Pat