Old 31-07-2003, 01:04 AM
Noydb

Default Drying Basil

John DeBoo wrote:

Tom Jaszewski wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:26:00 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

I'm starting to dry my plants by hanging them upside down, outside
in a semi shaded area. Many of the plants have gone to seed, at
least have flowers etc on them. Any reason I shouldn't crush up the
flower stems (tops) as well as the leaves? I'll pass on the regular
stems/stalks as they are pretty hardy and look like they'll be hard
to crush and to eat later. TIA

Yuck, seeds and stems!!!! *VBG*

What I was trying to figure out is if anything other than the leaf
was worth saving. So far its 1-all, 3-leaves. I think I'm getting
the messageG.

Put me down for an "all". I strip the leaves and flowers from the stems,
pass the stems back through the compost pile. I then dry the flowers &
leaves and save in an airtight jar.

If I had a culinary need for the stems, I would save them too. As things
are, I have a surplus just from the leaves / flowerets.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)