Old 31-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] Ligustrum indoors

Jim Lewis wrote:
I've checked what few sources I can find on growing Ligustrum
indoors and it appears that it CAN grow there. Ligustrum is one
of the toughest trees around, and will grow where other trees
would give up.

Agreed on the "tough" part, at least for outdoors, but... I suspect
much of the reason for confusion and "mixed messages' is that
Ligustrum is not "a" species, but rather a *genus*, and therefor many
species. I find nine listed at a glance... about half of which I've
seen used for bonsai (including 3 in my collection! I do like
Liggies). Some are evergreen, others partially or mostly deciduous.

For instance, L. ovalifolium is hardy zones 8-10, and would likely do
better indoors than amurense or vulgare, both hardy to zone 4 or so,
and likely the latter two need a dormant period.

Grow well,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.
What does that say about you, she said, that you like
undressed trees. A voyeur."
-from a poem by Kay Cheever

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++