Old 31-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Milt

Default Harvesting cucumbers

I believe cucumbers are ripe when they turn yellow! But most people pick
them before then. For pickling I believe around 4" and under are best, for
slicing up to around 8" or more depending on variety as long as the seeds
aren't filled out.
It can be unpleasant to be consuming grown seeds. imho
Just try them at all sizes and you will figure which you like.
I grew Summer Dance cukes(long Japanese style from Pinetree Garden Seeds)
this year and am very pleased with them and will grow them again next year.
Would like to try Diva sometime...
Grow them vertically for best use of space.

"Angi" wrote in message
I am curious as to when the proper time to harvest cucumbers is. Does the
skin need to be a certain consistency such as either rough or smooth? Is
there a certain smell that should radiate from the cucumbers before they

are
ready to pick? Might a person tell by snapping the skin to see if they are
ready?
I did notice one of the leaves of the numerous vines started to slightly
discolor and I am wondering what to do now! Should I try to (hand

pollinate)
or take the leave to a reputable nursery or extension agent? Please help!