Old 31-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Alan Gould

Default Capsicums

In article , vsop
writes
Never had this problem before. Nearly all my sweet peppers have developed
misshapen fruits, horribly mangled and distorted,.......like something out
of Quatermas !
Its too late to save them but has anyone any advice as to the cause ? I
wonder if that very hot spell recently could be the reason ? The
temperatures in my 10 x 20 gh did get very high indeed for several days.
The only other problem is bronzing of many of my tomatoes,

If anything, capsicums would withstand over high temperatures better
than tomatoes. The problem could be erratic or too much watering, or
possibly insufficient ventilation, or if you have a lot of plants
crammed into a small space, they can react in various ways.

Our sweet peppers are developing normally in size, shape and quantity,
but though we started them earlier this year, they are quite slow
compared to other tender crops in the same greenhouse. We are picking
grapes before any peppers are ready for the first time I can recall.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.