Old 31-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Jeff Dantzler

Default Good Seattle hedge bamboo/suppliers?

Greetings. I am new to the group and am currently looking at planting some
bamboo early next Spring in Seattle, WA.

I would like something that is hardy enough to deal with our occasional
dips into the 20's. It must make a good screen between properties, but not
be too invasive. I am willing to dig and install barriers as well as
provide "training" with a spade. Currently my neighbor doesn't mind if I
wander over to his side to deal with out-of-control plants.

I like the look of bamboo 1-2" in diameter and 10-20' tall. The planting
area will be shaded somewhat as it is near the north side of my house. It
is 3-4' wide and perhaps 15-20' long. Is it realistic to have a clump this
size?

Any recommendations would be welcome. I'm researching on Google and local
libraries as well. Bambusa textilis looks nice, but the references I've
seen are all in high-sun areas. I know there are some local suppliers that
I plan to visit. I imagine it is better to buy local varieties than to get
mail-order plants (especially for a newbie), right? I'm just not sure what
people are having success with in this locale.

Thanks for input.

I'll look in the group for replies--note my email has been altered to
avoid spam.

Cheers,

Jeff Dantzler (email drizzle instead of bamboo.screen)
Seattle, WA