Old 31-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Conifer?

(Evelyn Usher) wrote in message . ..
Sorry it is a half barrel. Like the one used for beer

It should do in there; I distrust over-sized containers, but I've
tried other Lawsons in tubs two feet square, and they survived
happily. It won't get too big in a hurry if it's correctly labelled.
You'll probably need to replace it, or move it to the open ground, in
anything from about six to about ten years, I suppose: by then it may
be about six feet tall at a guess, depending on conditions.

I suggest John Innes, rather than a peat-based compost, as the peat
mixtures are very difficult to get wet again once they've dried out.
You could make a mixture of growbag material (fresh or used) and
garden soil.

Don't be afraid of putting other plants in the same container; a
prostrate juniper would look good.

Mike.