Old 31-07-2003, 11:13 AM
AWM

Default Toadstools

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Arthur

I was particularly concerned about winter, when the grass can be too wet

walk on, and in my ignorance thought there might be even more of them.

As to my lawn being *too* perfect - did you see those porkers passing by

in
the air last night?

Incidentally we had new turf laid around the middle of April. It was
'cultivated' and looked really weed free for several weeks, but now the
weeds are proliferating but it says on 'weed and feed', spot weed killers
etc, that you shouldn't use them until the lawn has been down for 6

months.
I'm in a bit of a quandary about this, also.

Best regards and thanks for the reply,
Aileen

About 4 years ago I moved into a brand new house, like many new estates
because of planning requirements the front gardens are fenceless with a
common areas and grass strip at the front whre the pavement would normally
be which is sometimes cut by a contractor employed by a factor. . All the
turf in my cul de sac was laid on the same day, all my neighbours have
weeds - clover, dandylions and docks the area cut by the contractor is the
worst affected but I don't have weeds and the only difference between the
way I treat my grass and my neghbours is that I set my mower at slightly a
higher setting and don't use a grass box as I cut the grass 3+ times a
week in the peak growing season. Without the grass box to empty and with a
budget 41cm petrol rotary mower I can cut all my grass in about 1/5 of the
time it would take with a electric cylinder mower with grass box fitted.
If the grass is longer than normal I do two or three cuts progressively
lower the height so the cuttings don't form clumps. . The contractor
mantained grass area is a total mess of weeds having been allowed to grow
too long before beng scalped to the roots.