Old 31-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Harvesting cucumbers

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:23:16 GMT, "Angi"
wrote:

I am curious as to when the proper time to harvest cucumbers is. Does the
skin need to be a certain consistency such as either rough or smooth? Is
there a certain smell that should radiate from the cucumbers before they are
ready to pick? Might a person tell by snapping the skin to see if they are
ready?
I did notice one of the leaves of the numerous vines started to slightly
discolor and I am wondering what to do now! Should I try to (hand pollinate)
or take the leave to a reputable nursery or extension agent? Please help!

Cukes are nicer young, I think, and can be picked whenever
you feel they are large enough.

In my experience, cukes always eventually get some virus
disease (or something like that), yellow and then die.

I don't worry about it much - we've always had lots and lots
of cukes before they eventually die out all together.

And - in my experience - by the time they die out
completely, it's almost time for the first killing frost
anyway. (Northeastern USA, various locations.)

I think the easiest way to keep the cukes coming would be to
start seeds at different times, and replace the older
(diseased) ones with younger vines.

Pat