Old 31-07-2003, 02:32 PM
BAC

Default Balckberries where raspberries grew

"Dee" wrote in message ...
Do you think it is OK to plant blackberries where we have had raspberries
growing the last 6-7 years?

The raspberries have probably reached there natural life span, we have had
gradually decreasing crops and this year the plants are looking decidedly
unhealthy. Malling jewel I think is the variety and we have fed and

mulched
etc every year.

I will dig up and burn the roots of the raspberries and fill the trenches
with compost before planting a thornless blackberry of some kind in the
Autumn.

Don't know whether it's theoretically OK, but I've done what you suggest,
without any problem evident for the thornless blackberry. that must have
been about ten years ago now.