Old 31-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default Brush Disposal

On 31 Jul 2003 14:13:17 GMT, (Beerbuoy) wrote:

Can anyone recommend a convenient way to dispose of brush in or around Austin,
preferably northwest. I have found the city's semi-annual collection to be
prohibitive as well as the commercial sites I've checked.

I'm not sure what your needs are. The city picks up brush every week.
It needs to be tied into bundles, but I have found that the workers in
my neighborhood are very forgiving. Most of our yard trimmings fall
into this category. They have never failed to pick up anything I put
out at the curb. Of course, I have been known to meet them at the curb
with cups of hot coffee. The semiannual collection is for large brush,
up to 8" in diameter. (To me, that's firewood!)

The advantage of using city services is that the brush, whether weekly
or semiannual, is chipped and converted into mulch or compost. As far
as I know, none of it goes into a landfill.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor