Old 31-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Compost ingredients?

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Andrew McMichael said:

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house, and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this so?
Why?

Normally people don't have their compost 'cooking' enough to bury meat
and bone scraps in without risking serious odor or vermin problems.

If I have a hot batch that is really cooking I can throw in shrimp peelings,
fish bones, dead birds and mice and other stuff that is usually 'not
allowed' in the compost guides. Once we even splurged on lobsters for
the family and buried the leftovers in the middle of a really hot batch.
No smell, and the shells all broke down. The only thing we recognized
when sifting the compost later were the tips of the biggest claws.

I can email some information on hot, batch composting (written originally
by an professional compost man) to those who are interested.

We commonly do nut shells and they eventually break down just fine too.