Old 31-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Toadstools

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message ...
Arthur

I was particularly concerned about winter, when the grass can be too wet to
walk on, and in my ignorance thought there might be even more of them.

As to my lawn being *too* perfect - did you see those porkers passing by in
the air last night?

Incidentally we had new turf laid around the middle of April. It was
'cultivated' and looked really weed free for several weeks, but now the
weeds are proliferating but it says on 'weed and feed', spot weed killers
etc, that you shouldn't use them until the lawn has been down for 6 months.
I'm in a bit of a quandary about this, also.

As Arthur says, your toadstools are unlikely to come up in the winter;
in fact, they probably won't trouble you for more than a few weeks.

Some mushroomy things come up only when the ground's disturbed, so
these may very well not have come in with the turf, but be the result
of preparing your ground before the turf came. In that case, they
probably won't appear again after two or three years: I had a lovely
crop of lawyer's wigs one year on some ground I'd disturbed and
grassed down, but they'd dwindled to nothing three years later. (The
book said you could eat them, but I didn't have the guts to try!)

I think I'd obey the instructions on "weed and feed", as what they're
probably trying to stop you doing is feed growth before there's a
strong enough root system to support it; the stuff would probably tend
to suck moisture away from the young grasses, too, leading to
"burning". But if you don't mind a few little brown patches, I think a
spot weeder would be all right: better than letting the bad weeds get
well established. You could sow a pinch of grass seed in the bare
patch, scratching it in with an old table fork (one of my favourite
garden tools).

Mike.