Old 31-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Using bones for fertilizer?

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote in
news

Our 150# black Newfoundland, Natasha (RIP) could smell bone meal a
mile away and dug quite a few pits as a youngster. Fortunately she
outgrew the habit after she was around two years old. I used to have
to hose her off with the garden hose--- what a mess LOL.

Interesting. But I wonder if it's still a problem? I guess that
incident was around 7 years ago? I picked up a package of bone meal for
my mom recently and it said some fancy smancy stuff about a "special
steam purification process", so I wonder if that got rid of whatever
attracts animals, and if something similar could be done with home-made
bone meal etc.

-- Salty

P.S. I remember some people mentioning trench composting bones without
any problems.