Old 31-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Rich McCormack

Default Pumpkins

Awhile back I wrote in part...

...There's two pumpkins growing (looks like one's going
to be a monster) but the rest have yellowed and dropped off at about
one inch diameter. I'm assuming it's a pollination problem, but
might there be some other problem?

The "monster" stopped growing at about 15 inches diameter but it and
the other original pumpkin have both turned a typical pumpkin orange
color. One is destined to become Thanksgiving time Pumpkin Ale and
will be coming off soon enough to allow for the couple of months
brewing and aging. I'd like to use the other for Thanksgiving cooking
if it'll keep that long. If I take 'em off too soon I'm afraid they'll
begin to rot in our current hot and humid SoCal weather; but, I've read
that leaving early pumpkins on the vine will result in the same.

Question: how long can I leave these early pumpkins on the vine before
they'll start to deteriorate?

The plant itself is resisting my interference in it's sex life, but
I have managed to set one more pumpkin for sure and one more for maybe.
I keep trying...

Rich

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/