Old 31-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Spider

Default Rose question.

Yes, it certainly matters.
If you're growing species or wilder roses for their colourful hips, then do
not dead-head.
If you're growing roses purely for the beauty of their flowers (and as many
of them as possible), then dead-head regularly. This is because the plant
produces flowers in order to produce seed for future progeny. If you remove
that seed - the hip or haw - the plant responds by producing more flowers in
order to replace the lost seed.
It is therefore most important to keep up with rose-feeding, so that the
plant can cope with the demand placed on it,
SPIDER

Pinetree wrote in message
.. .
Does it make any difference {to my rose bushes} whether I dead-head my

roses
or not? I've read so much conflicting advice re. this topic.