Old 01-08-2003, 12:23 AM
harry

Default Tomatos wilting

Hi Folks:
I like in the hills of Jersey and have been growing tomatos in
pots. Specs on the tomatos: Park's Whopper Improved VFFNT
They are not very high at this point, maybe two feet, but they're
producing many tomatos! Even while red, they are hard to pull off..
Not BIG tomatos, maybe 3" dia max.
The tap water here is from a well, the PH is around 7.4, but the
Phosphorus is WAY HIGH! In fact, way out of range. I tried to do a
soil test of the yard soil, using the well water, which at first led
me to believe the soilwas Phosphorus rich. I switched to distilled
water, and found the soil lacking in phosphorus and nitrogen, but
absent of potash. This is why I'm potting, and with potting soil from
the store.
The beans and sunflowers are doing great, but the tomatos seem to
be having a problem with something. I've captured rain water when I
can, but that doesn't last too long. I put this well water in a wheel
barrow to vent a bit, and use that.. This collects mosquitos around
this time..
Everything else seems to be fine with this water, but I've even
tried Miracle Grow for Tomatos, which might have even hurt!!
The leaves have started yellowing, mainly around the bottom, and
when they 'like' the water or what ever, they spring-up quickly, but
still yellow.. Now they seem to be dropping green tomatos with
blemishs on the bottom.
Is there any special conditions I should be giving to tomatos, as
opposed to other plants?
Thanks!
Harry