Old 01-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] BT#84 Takagi pot comp wonderings

From: "Craig Cowing"
Maybe I'm getting to be an old fart ahead of my time, but I

generally like a more
serene, classically styled pot. Something that doesn't

compete with the tree.
Some of the pots that appear in these competitions, as Andy

points out, are nice as
pieces of pottery but would look terrible with trees in

them.

------------------------

A good point, Craig, to think on, that of non-competitive
pots:
But, is that all we want of managing an artful bonsai?
Non-competitive is a negative position IF one can have a pot
that in some manner has "flow" with the tree, either in form
or line suggests it was made especially for that tree. As
trees have gained some individuality, and I am thinking
mostly of the European trees, so has pottery - but they each
are going their own way, growing and experimenting yet as they
must.
It is not always so, of course, Potters are working with
individuals, and the result can be strongly Opposite of
non-competitive elements; these combined efforts may
sometime surpass the classic usage by being of a form, texture
or with lines that have such unity that it is obviously
intended to be singly paired. I think that is a goal that
gives the present freedom of design a good face. It is
possible to work outside the traditional conventions of an art
and be acceptable only if enough universal elements remain to
give an emphasis to Art form. One thing we can do is
emphasize that element of unity between pot and tree more than
it has been done in the past.
Lynn

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++