Old 01-08-2003, 01:28 AM
Chris

Default Good Seattle hedge bamboo/suppliers?

Jeff Dantzler wrote in message news:1059669867.766806@yasure...

That means I'll pretty much be digging out the area that they
will be planted in and can put whatever soil is best once I have the
barrier in place. Any recommendations as to ideal substrate when starting
from scratch like this? I want to give them an ideal medium and I'm also
willing to water often to encourage the bamboo to quickly become
established. I've got fishtanks, so I have a great source of moderately
high-nitrogen water to keep them happy. I've heard they like a lot of
organic material like manure, etc.

Bamboo is a bottomfeeder... don't get all fancy amending the soil when
you plant. Just dig the perimeter for the barrier and plant. Once it
is more established you can start regular fertilizing. I would start
with time release lawn starter fertilizer.. it is safe for new roots
and is readily available.

Tropicals thrive with the use of "hotter" fertilizers I use steer
manure on mine. For my temperates, I just alternate between 15-15-15
fertilizer and mir-acid. Termperates like the soil a bit more acidic
than other plants.

Good luck!

Chris